Sunday, March 4, 2012

Texas Spring

I drove home from College Station earlier this afternoon. The drive lasts an hour and a half, and is usually not a pleasant trip. Cars go too fast, other cars go too slow, and farm machinery occasionally clogs up the narrower roads along my way. I usually just have to bear it with the help of some good music and, so long as I'm in range, KUHF, Houston's NPR station. As I drive through Magnolia, I am forced repeatedly to see the destruction wrought by last summer's wildfire, blackened trees, skeletal and bare. I am reminded of the horrors that Texas' fickle weather can cause, and just what can happen when there is no rain. 

 But then there are days like today, gorgeous spring afternoons without a cloud in sight. The fields have returned once again to green, and they are dotted with wildflowers in vibrant yellows and reds and purples. The bluebonnets are starting to bloom, and the land is starting to recover from last year's drought, though the burnt forests are as desolate as ever. Their time will come again. 

 Today's drive was actually rather pleasant. Highway speeds are too fast to enjoy rolling my windows down, but it was nice to see the sunshine and the flowers and the thankfully green grass. Sometimes, it's good to be in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment